SEMPO has released their State of the Search Marketing Industry for 2015 study, where they surveyed more than 500 respondents from the industry. This is the tenth time they have released the survey, which helps the industry better understand the dynamics year over year.
Here are some of the key search-related highlights from the survey:
- SEO & Paid Search Ads lead in the services performed by agencies, consultants and clients within the survey. This is over social ads, display, email and more.
- SEMs say that while Google is growing in importance when it comes to paid ads, Yahoo is irrelevant in 2015.
- Only 20 percent of the respondents said they have five to seven people responsible for SEO, while only 10 percent are responsible for paid search in their company.
- The biggest challenges for SEOs are measuring ROI, getting budget and staying on top of changes.
- The biggest challenges for Paid Search consultants are getting budget from clients, deciding to go in-house vs. outsource and optimization of their ads.
- Many use tools for SEO work over paid search work.
Here are some highlighted slides:
The breakdown on who uses tools in our industry:
Which are the most popular SEO tools used:
On October 27, the SEMPO Education Committee conducted a Google+ Hangout discussing these results. Here is that video:
You can join SEMPO to download the full study and watch and partake in a members-only webinar featuring panelists from both agency side and client side to complement the results.