Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google, Twitter Argue Against Throttling Speed Of News
Google and Twitter have teamed up to support a web site that’s facing legal trouble for reporting news too quickly.
Reuters reports that Google and Twitter filed a brief Monday in an appeals court case involving theflyonthewall.com, a web site that reports financial industry and stock market news. A U.S. District Court ruled earlier this year […]
- Integrating Feedburner & Google Analytics
In mid-November, Google Analytics and Feedburner announced a very interesting integration. While this is excellent news for Google Analytics and Feedburner users, it must be dealt properly when it comes to SEO, especially on websites that are heavily based on RSS feeds.
Google Analytics users rejoice!
This integration is very interesting in that it allows a much […]
- With Search, Turn Your Marketing Funnel Into A Water Park
In marketing, we divide the customer experience into several tasks: Awareness, consideration, demand and purchase. Advertising campaigns are put into buckets of awareness (isn’t this cool?), consideration (here are your options if you decide to buy this kind of thing) and demand (take advantage of this special offer!). The messaging is geared towards one or […]
- Will Quora Challenge Google? No. Is It Useful? Yes
Yesterday the Wall Street Journal ran an article in conjunction with Quora’s public beta launch. The article framed the discussion as Quora (and its kin) vs. Google:
The race to build a successor to Web search is heating up as a number of young companies seek to fill gaps they see with Google Inc.
One of […]
- Bing Updates iPhone App: Bar Code Scanning, Social Integration & More
This morning, Microsoft’s Bing iPhone App was updated to include new search and social features. I was able to play around with the new features this morning and I wanted to share my experience with you.
In summary, the new Bing iPhone app includes:
Improved products with landing page, results, details and instant answer
Details with […]
- Ignite SMX: Give Them 5 Minutes, They’ll Give You DateRank, Circus Life & More!
Earlier this year at our SMX search engine marketing conference, we hosted a special “all-search” version of Ignite. Got 5 minutes? Then watch as speakers cover how PageRank compares to “DateRank,” how well Google itself does SEO, why never to give money to search start-ups trying to beat Google in a garage and much more.
- Four Engines, Four Ways To Generate Links
Do you favor one search engine over another when building links? I have a favorite for general searching, but when it comes to link building, I don’t use just one. Ask, Bing, Google and Yahoo! each offers a unique set of search options, I use all of them for a wide range of results. Here’s […]
- Quality & Originality: The Keys To Viral Success
A turd isn’t viral. One of the mistakes that most people make when promoting viral content is that the material isn’t viral, they are putting out lackluster, half-baked turd-like content in order to be “social.” That’s not how social media works.
What do I mean? Well, generally you get results that equal the amount of time […]
- Careful: The European Union Is Messing With Your Cookie Jar
Europe sometimes steers its own course when it comes to privacy matters. I’ve written about the European privacy gaffes before. Some countries like Germany, France and Italy really take a firm stand on privacy matters when it comes to search engines. These countries take aggressive positions with Google and other search engines. Other countries, however, […]
- Google Adds New Health-Search Feature For Medications
Last year Google began integrating structured health-related content at the top of search results (“Health OneBox“). Here’s what that looks like today for a search on “diabetes“:
Today Google is expanding that search feature to include medications.
When users search on a prescription or generic drug (e.g., “Lipitor” or “acetaminophen”) a summary and description will appear at […]
- Google Back Above 72% Market Share: Hitwise
Google surpassed the 72% market share level again, according to the latest numbers from Experian Hitwise. For Google, the May 2010 market share of 72.17% is up slightly over April. Yahoo and Bing, meanwhile, both saw slight declines according to Hitwise.
Google hasn’t been above 72% on the Hitwise chart since last December, when it reached […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Adds OCR for PDF Files and Images, Google Operating System
- Google Voice for everyone, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Meet the father of Google Apps (who used to work at Microsoft), networkworld.com
- Palm’s Temkin Joins AOL As Head Of Mobile, paidContent.org
- Is BPI Trying To Setup Google For Copyright Infringement Lawsuit?, Techdirt
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Microsoft takes off the gloves with a Google Apps switchers campaign, ZDNet
- “Annyeong Haseyo! “안녕하세요” to Google Search by Voice in Korean, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Google Maps for Android Helps You Find the Right Place, Catch a Train, and Add Latitude Friends, Official Google Mobile Blog
- Heads Up, Thumbs Up, Citysearch Blog
- Bing Logo Now On Facebook Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- Quora and Others Are Racing to the Fill Gaps Left by Google, Wall Street Journal
- Google Bug Prevents Clicking On Second Search Results, Search Engine Roundtable
- BlueGlass Has Formed, BlueGlass
SEO & SEM
- Amazon Web Services: Clouded by Duplicate Content, SEOmoz
- Is Your SEO Strategy to Barely Avoid Spamming?, Search Engine Guide
- Universal Search Occurrences and Types in Google.com.au, Bruceclay.com.au
- Article Too Long Errors On Google News? Get Special Consideration, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Says Soft 404s Don’t Result In Penalty, But Do They Hurt?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How important is the frequency of updates on a blog?, YouTube
- How to Optimize Your Videos for SEO, Search Engine Watch
- Introducing the Beginner’s Guide to SEO v2.0, SEOmoz
- Video: How to Rank in Real-Time Search Results, WebProNews
- Yahoo Search 404 Handling Poor Again?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Exclusive: Discussing the Future of Facebook and the Facebook Ecosystem with CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Inside Facebook
- LinkedIn Takes Groups To The Next Level With Likes, Follows And More, TechCrunch
- Social Darwinism; a guide to Twitter dorking, huomah.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google and Bing gear up for battle in TV and video search, TechFlash
- Google Plans Music Service Tied to Search Engine, AllThingsD
- Why Goals are important in Google Analytics, Vertical Leap Blog
- Vote for the international “I love football” Doodle 4 Google winner, Official Google Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- SEO is a Marketing Discipline – a call to arms for our industry
- The Social Media Policy I Followed to Drive Over 36 Million Pageviews