Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing To Rollout Red Carpet In Hollywood Along With New Features
What’s the hottest trend in Hollywood right now? Ding, ding, it’s Bing. Google’s so 2009. As previously reported by CNET, Bing is hosting a special entertainment focused event in Hollywood on June 22, which Danny Sullivan and I will be attending; we’ll be live blogging and tweeting it, of course.
Bing made a splash at the […]
- Yahoo Closes European Directories, Says US Directory Is Safe
Yahoo has closed its web directories in four countries, and it seems no one noticed. It happened back in December, and Yahoo is now redirecting those directories to the country-specific web search pages.
Sean Carlos dropped us a note about his blog post today on Antezeta.com, and we got this confirmation from Yahoo:
As part of […]
- 8 Canonicalization Best Practices In Plain English
Canonicalization sounds like a process for recognizing sainthood, or maybe a training course in aiming large projectile weapons. But it’s actually one of the most important aspects of organic SEO. Good canonicalization means search engines crawl more pages of your site; it means that link authority and PageRank get consolidated, so you have a stronger […]
- Google Expands Click To Call Mobile Ads To Content Network
Google’s mobile click-to-call ads program in search is apparently a big success. Although reluctant to share specific numbers, Google previously said that response rates were “5 to 30 percent better” than other AdWords CTRs in mobile. Even the URLs in these ads get more clicks, Surojit Chatterjee, Senior Product Manager, Mobile Ads, previously told […]
- Google Launches “Commerce Search 2.0″
Google has upgraded its “commerce search” offering for retailers, e-commerce sites and manufacturers. Commerce search is a product of the enterprise search team and version 1.0 launched roughly six months ago. Commerce Search 2.0 has more features and the price has been cut in half from $50,000 per year to $25,000 to drive more adoption.
- Google Expands Property Search To The UK
The Google Lat Long Blog announced they have launched Google Property search in the UK at maps.google.co.uk/property. You will also be able to access this via maps.google.co.uk and then by clicking on the “More menu” and selecting “Properties…”
Here is a screen shot of the red dots overlaid on the map, symbolizing properties for sale:
- Google AdWords Now Showing Related Ads?
Google seems to be testing “related” AdWords ads on the right hand bottom panel of their search results.
James Carswell noticed this and posted a screen shot of the related AdWords ads. I personally do not ever remember seeing such a test. Here is a sample of his screen capture:
I have seen […]
- Why You Should Adopt HTML5—Now
HTML5 continues to grow and gain adoption across the web, as many marketers have discovered the advantage of HTML5 to extend video to a wide range of platforms (as mentioned in my April 22 post, Are You Ready for the New iPad Era with HTML5?). According to TechCrunch, nearly two-thirds of web video is already […]
- The Right Brain Of Paid Search Ads: Tips & Tricks For Creative Ad Copywriting
Last week we went through the left brain’s parameters and limitations of paid search ads. Frankly, you have to have a deep understanding of what’s allowed by the search engines in terms of copywriting to allow the creative juices to flow. Most people understand the character limits (25 character title, 35 character display […]
- First Promoted Twitter Trend For Toy Story 3 Aims To Infinity And Beyond!
Earlier today several people noticed a “Promoted Trend” in trending topics on Twitter. For those who haven’t already seen it, here’s what it looks like:
It appears at the bottom of the trending list; and it’s there regardless of whether you’re looking at global or local trending topics. We’ve asked for comment from Twitter.
A Twitter spokesperson […]
- Can Google Real Time Search Have Its Own Home Page Now?
Google’s Real Time Search is awesome. I’d love to point more people at it, but I can’t. That’s because unlike many other specialized Google search services, Google Real Time Search doesn’t have its own home page. That sucks, and it’s time to change.
Want to search for images on Google? Head over here to Google Image […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- 5 Ways Google Can Up Its Game Against Office 2010, Read/Write Web
- Fun With PubSubHubbub, WordPress, seogadget.co.uk
- How Does the New Hotmail Stack Up to Gmail?, lifehacker.com
- Did the Russians take Bing?, beu blog
- Google eyes Demand Media’s way with words, FT.com
- The Inside Story: How Yahoo Bought Associated Content, businessinsider.com
- Wow! Steve Case criticizes AOL’s $850m Bebo buy – Time Warner was a far bigger folly, ZDNet
- Yahoo! to Hold Annual Meeting of Shareholders Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM PT/ 1:00 PM ET, Yahoo Press Releases
Local, Maps & Mobile
- 50% Of Android Phones Now Running OS 2.1, TechCrunch
- Localeze Provides Foundation for Twitter Places With Business Listings Identity Management, marketwire.com
- Forget The Mayor, Gowalla Focuses On Serendipitous Deals For All, TechCrunch
- 24 Link Building How-To’s, News and Tool Reviews! 6/11-6/17, Ontolo
- SEO & Link Building: The Domain Authority Factor, Search Engine Watch
Paid Search & Contextual
- Google Doesn’t Like Apple’s Safari 5?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Paid Search Accounts for Almost Half of Online Advertising, Marketing Pilgrim
- Reintroducing Video Ads, AdWords API Blog
- World Cup and Yahoo!’s Marketing Campaign Is On the Move, Yodel Anecdotal
- Amazon Wants To Become The Primary Shopping Option On Bing, Business Insider
- Google, Caffeine and the future of search, Telegraph
- The creator of Google News on how journalism will change in the next 5 years, thenextweb.com
- 7 Top Reasons You Should Still Be Using Sphinn, SEOptimise
SEO & SEM
- Bing vs. Google: Prominence of Ranking Elements, SEOmoz
- Does Google Count A Keyword In The URI (Filename) When Ranking A Page?, Hobo
- Top 10 Ways To Prevent Over Spending On Your PPC Campaign, PPC Hero
- 8 Reasons In-House SEOs Hire SEO Consultants, SEOmoz
- Bing Creating Their Own Caffeine Indexing Speed?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Enhanced Brand Keyword Ads: Five Ways to Maximize Your Profit, Industrial Strength SEM
- Google’s Soft 404 Errors Also Include 5xx Errors, Search Engine Roundtable
- How to Get Your Business to do well in Google Local – Podcast Episode #73, Site Visibility
- SEO Sharing Session – June 2010, Bruceclay.com.au
- Think Penny Wise, Search Foolish when it comes to investing in an SEO copywriter, SEO Copywriting
- Yahoo Begins Testing Bing Search Results Now, Switch Over Complete August/September, Search Engine Roundtable
- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Is Embracing the End of Email, Here’s Why, Fast Company
- Facebook Also Said To Have A Deal With Localeze For Facebook Places, TechCrunch
- Google Maps now Advertising on Facebook, Stellar Search Blog
- Intuit Spams Me On Twitter After Major Outage, Barry Schwartz
- The Most "Liked" Types of Facebook Pages [Infographic], blog.hubspot.com
- World Cup Pushes Twitter to the Limit, digitaltrends.com
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google debuts Korean Voice Search, challenges Naver, Korea Herald
- Edit video in the cloud with the YouTube Video Editor, YouTube Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Sphinn 2.2 in Planning … Your Feedback Requested
- PubSubHubbub, WordPress & Faster Indexation
- It’s a Trap!The Big Bad Bookmarking Scam