Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Time To End The Bullshit Search Engine Share Figures?
Yahoo’s up again in comScore’s latest search rankings. Reason? It seems largely due to non-search “slideshow” activity. Solution? Time to end the bullshit way search share figures are calculated. Chance of success? Probably nil, but it’s worth hoping for.
Today’s figures show Yahoo has continued to increase its share of searches for the third month in […]
- Sency Adds Popular Places To Real-Time Search
There’s a highly local element to real-time search, and Sency — a real-time search engine that we’ve profiled before — has taken a small step toward marrying trending content and location.
Sency is now showing what it calls a “trends engine for popular places.” The idea of trends usually revolves around topics, but Sency is […]
- Thanks, Coach! What John Wooden Taught Me About SEM
As I was searching for a topic for this article, the news has come in that legendary UCLA coach John Wooden has passed away. Not only was he a coaching legend, he was an extraordinary mentor and a damn fine human being.
From what I’m seeing on Twitter, I probably won’t be the only Search Marketer […]
- We’re All Different. Why Aren’t Our Search Options?
Our online activity is about to be spread over more and more devices. This opens up some interesting implications for UI design. More and more, we’ll be launching queries from more places that will have different environmental challenges. For example:
What does search look like in a busy train station in Frankfurt, Germany?
What does search look […]
- How To Look Smarter By Dumbing It Down
Let’s take a break from focusing on the practice of analytics this week to focus on a single idea I think both search marketers and analytics people alike can benefit from enormously. We need to learn how to make the message simple.
With all of the complexity involved in what we do, it’s easy to […]
- Google FIFA World Cup & Jacques Cousteau Logos
Today, Google is showing you two basic logos or “Doodles” based on the country you live in. Most people outside the U.S. are seeing a FIFA World Cup logo for the start of the tournament, while people in the U.S. are seeing Jacques Cousteau Doodle for his 100th birthday.
The main FIFA Google […]
- Google AdWords Let’s You Analyze Your Competitors Now
Google announced a new beta AdWords feature that gives your more insight into your AdWords competitors. The new beta feature is currently a limited beta and is named analyze competition. You can check under the Opportunities tab to see if you have this feature or not.
What does it do? The […]
- Google Expanding Local Tags, Pushing Them Into Mobile
Google announced that it’s rolling out its fixed-fee local ad product “Tags” (formerly “enhanced listings“) nationally. It also announced that Tags will be showing up in mobile search results. Tags offers local businesses (or locations) a way to make their listings in the map-related 7-Pack “pop.”
Here’s an example for “massage, Houston“:
Businesses can highlight a range […]
- Google Testing New Google News Home Page (With Sharing Options)
This never happens to me. Until now. While writing my earlier piece, Google News Tests Editors’ Picks, I went to Google News on the off-chance that I’d be able to see the “limited test” of editors’ picks. Nope. As expected.
But totally unexpected was that I’ve been opted-in to a test of a completely new Google […]
- Google News Tests Editors’ Picks
Google News, which has always prided itself on being a 100% computer-generated news aggregator with no human intervention, is doing an about-face. The Nieman Journalism Lab reports that a limited test is underway which involves human editors from “partner news organizations” manually choosing certain articles “to be featured on Google News.”
The new Editors’ Picks section […]
- 29 Worst Practices & Most Common Failures: SEO Checklist Part I
Many consider search engine optimization as a sort of black box. But once the essential features of a search engine optimal website are laid out in a concise list, SEO is not nearly as mystifying.
That’s where these checklists come in. They are designed for web marketers and web developers so that they can easily understand […]
- Search Engines Get World Cup Fever (Some More Than Others)
The biggest sporting event in the world is underway and, if you’re unable to follow along on TV, there’s plenty of coverage of it online — including all of the major search engines and Twitter. Here’s a look at what you’ll find on the web if you’re looking for a football/soccer fix.
Google seems to have […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Googler Drops Windows Zero-Day, Microsoft Unhappy, threatpost
- Fast new windows, Official Gmail Blog
- Google Voice Desktop App Launch Delayed, May Be Scrapped, TechCrunch
- Google’s New OS Will Offer Remote Desktop Capabilities, Read/Write Web
- Google TV Is A Bigger Deal Than You Think, Forrester Blogs
- Google wants to face single mega-lawsuit over WiFi snafu, Ars Technica
- Microsoft hides mystery Firefox extension in toolbar update, Ars Technica
Local, Maps & Mobile
- (Bing) Mapping Your Friends With The Facebook Map App, Bing
- Google Files for Online Map Service in China, www.tmcnet.com
- Hey Google Maps, Why Is Randolph, VT In A Lake?, TIME.com
- Local Business Listing: A Marketing Opportunity and a Security Challenge, Search Engine Journal
- Sick of Useless Badges and Mayorships? Topguest Makes Check-ins Meaningful, Read/Write Web
- Google News Drops Web Search Button, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Quietly Breaks & Fixes Starring In Google Dictionary, Search Engine Roundtable
- Science: Databases: New Beta from WorldWideScience.org Offers Real-Time Translation of Content; Powered by Microsoft, ResourceShelf
- Take-aways from SMX Advanced 2010, John Andrews
- 12 Top Tips from SMX Advanced Seattle 2010, SEOptimise
- BlueGlass LA : Last Day for Early Bird Tickets, Search Engine Journal
- SMX Advanced 2010 Seattle Recap – What I learned, hugoguzman.com
- Video Recap of Weekly Search Buzz :: June 11, 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Image SEO – 6 Optimization Tips for Images, Online Marketing Blog
- Staying Ahead of Shifts in PPC Traffic -Part 2, PPC Hero
- Video: Is Google MayDay Affecting You?, WebProNews
- The Power of Multiple Custom Variables, Google Analytics Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: