Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- French Newspapers Partner To Sidestep Google News
A group of six French newspapers is partnering to create an online news site that they hope will be an alternative to Google News. France’s National Daily Press Union announced the plan yesterday and said the virtual newsstand will be launched in September.
According to the Shaping the Future of the Newspaper blog, the French newspapers […]
- Google Places Team Fighting Bugs In Dashboard Reporting
Google is working to fix at least a pair of bugs in the Google Places dashboard, both of which affect the analytics reporting related to a local business listing.
One bug is a delay in the analytics reporting inside Google Places. Earlier this week, users noticed that stats were only available through July 12th — more […]
- Microsoft Earnings Report: Revenue Up 22% & Net Income Up 48%
Microsoft announced earnings and beat expectations of Wall Street. Microsoft reported, “record fourth-quarter revenue of $16.04 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2010, a 22% increase from the same period of the prior year. Operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $5.93 billion, $4.52 billion and $0.51 […]
- How To Transform Search Behavior Into A Great Search Experience
You’ve done your research. You understand how consumers search for your products and services. Now, what do you do with this insight?
In my previous article about Giving Customers What They Want, I outlined an approach to creating a search behavior model that can be used to develop your information architecture and your website content strategy. […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Finance adds oodles of options, Google Finance Blog
- Announcing the winners of the Google Online Marketing Challenge 2010, Official Google Blog
- Celebrating Yahoos giving back, Yodel Anecdotal
- Google misses deadline in high-profile L.A. deal, MarketWatch
- Microsoft responds to google on flaw fix delays, The Inquirer
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Baidu In Talks For Search On Android Phones, Eyes China Listing, Wall Street Journal
- Google Maps API for Flash at Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE, Google Geo Developers Blog
- Interactive multi-layered Google Earth map of 4 degree temp rise, Google Earth Blog
- Microsoft urges its workers to be Windows Phone app hobbyists, techflash.com
- 21 Link Building How To’s: BlueGlass vs. Link Building! (v11 7/16-7/22), Ontolo
- Link Building Tip: Salvage Links by 404s & More, Search Engine Roundtable
- You’re All Wrong!-> Buying Text Links From Offtopic, Irrelevant Sites Can Boost Rankings, Michael Gray
- Yahoo Says Brief Outage Wasn’t Because of Microsoft Tests, Wall Street Journal
- Personalized Activity Results and Tools for Runners and Cyclists, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- 75 Local SEO Meetups…and Why You Should Attend!, Marketing Pilgrim
- Google’s Alphonse Mucha & P.S. Krøyer Logos & Hot Dog Day, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- 10 Ways To Use Recycled Content, outspokenmedia.com
- 12 kickass SEO infographics, econsultancy.com
- 404 error page – The battle between SEO and useability, BruceClay
- Claim Your SERP Real Estate With Google’s Product Extension Ads, Search Engine Watch
- How Content Farms Train Their Writers to Write for the Web, PBS
- Minor Google PageRank Update : July 2010, Search Engine Roundtable
- Take Your Online Business to New Heights with the Display Network – Part 3, Search Engine Guide
- When You’ve Exhausted The Low Hanging Fruit in Your SEO Strategy, KoMarketing Associates
- Whiteboard Friday – How to Get an SEO Job, SEOmoz
- Facebook Like Moves Beyond the Dumb Grunt, Adds Comments to Like Button, Read/Write Web
- LinkedIn Group versus Facebook Group, Search Engine Journal
- Tracking the National Mood Through Twitter, New York Times
- Using Micro Goals to Fine Tune Your Social Media Campaigns, Search Engine Guide
Video, Music & Image Search
- Clicker Adds Mobile Apps, Social Sharing, And Check-Ins To TV Guide For Online Video, TechCrunch
- Hollywood: Google TV would put us on board big pirate ship, Ars Technica
- YouTube Play jury selected and ready to view your work, Official Google Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- How to Open Your Publisher Account on New Digg 4 – Publishers can take the following steps to get a publisher account on New.digg.com as bans will be lifted on all domains.
- Look At Your Video Campaign. Now Look At Old Spice. Why Has The Old Spice Man Captivated Us? – Here's a good look at what Old Spice did right with the recent social/video/viral campaign: "…while the campaign pretty much lasted only 11 hours, thanks to the urgency to participate, it still did remarkably better than some of the more organic campaigns that have become instant hits."
- Google + WordPress, The Matt Cutts Point of View (podcast) – WordPress experts and WebmasterRadio hosts Frederick Townes and Joost de Valk interview Matt Cutts about WordPress, blogging, SEO and much more.
- Cause Marketing 101 – Cause Marketing has been one of the fastest growing marketing segments over the last few years. Here is an introduction in to what cause marketing is and how it can help you and your business or non-profit.