Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google Intros New Privacy Controls For Mobile Consumers
To date Google has not used the mobile handset UDID “device identifier” to target mobile advertising via its AdSense for mobile and AdMob networks. For several reasons that have to do with ad performance, Google has decided to use the device identifier going forward. It will enable the company to do frequency capping, behavioral targeting […]
- Google iPhone Search App Gets Doodles
Google just released an update to their iPhone Search App that has a couple bug fixes but more importantly, it now supports Google Doodles. Now when you open the Google iPhone app, it will display the Google logo of the day. So if you opened it today, you would see the Charlie Chaplin Google logo. […]
- Search In Pics: Boris Johnson Yahoo Pong, Android Cake Pops & Google Maps Coasters
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have, and more. Google Maps Marker Coasters: Google Portable Charger: Yahoo Mobile Training Fun: Yahoo Winking Dart Pen: Google’s […]
- Report: Tech/Electronics Q1 Search Ad Spending Surpasses Q4
Search ad spending among tech and electronics companies is way up so far in 2011, so much so that Q1 spending surpassed Q4 levels for the first time. That’s the word from Covario’s Global Search Advertising Spend Analysis, which tracks about $400 million in annual spending around the world. Covario says Q1 spending was up […]
- Antitrust Trouble For Android In South Korea
NHN Corp. and Daum Communications have filed antitrust complaints with the South Korean equivalent of the US Fair Trade Commission. The complaints assert that Google is blocking them from putting their search applications on Android phones in South Korea. Leading Engines Claim They’re Blocked NHN and Daum run the two largest web portals in the […]
- Google’s Charlie Chaplin Silent Film Video Logo
Charlie Chaplin’s 122nd birthday is tomorrow, April 16th, and to remember one of the most famous actors during the silent film era, Google has a special logo for him. The logo is actually a very creative video, that incorporates the Google logo with a remake of his silent films. Chaplin was born on April16, 1889 […]
- Multi-Channel Funnels & Assists Coming To Google Analytics
Following the recent launch of Google Analytics v5, Google is launching (in limited pilot) an important set of reports that will help marketers understand which marketing channels customers interact with prior to a website conversion. These reports are a natural evolution from Adwords Search Funnels, which helps understanding which Adwords campaigns drive conversions and which […]
- A Guide To Understanding Google Analytics Reports & Personality Types
What is the first report you look at when you get access to a new Google Analytics account? Do you start by looking at the Dashboard, Ecommerce report, Content report, Traffic Sources or any of the technical reports? Psychology has shown that many of our day-to-day behaviors are deeply related to our personalities, beliefs, and […]
- Survey: 60% Of Consumers More Likely To Consider Or Contact Businesses With Images In Local Search Results
UK based SEO firm BrightLocal reported the results of two online surveys about local consumer behavior and local SEO. The surveys were conducted in Q1 2011. There were more than 600 SEO survey respondents and 1,250 US consumer survey respondents respectively. The findings are not a surprise. Google dominates as a traffic source to local […]
- My Single Best Paid Search Tip: Optimize At Every Step
On occasion, I get asked what my single best tip is for successful paid search marketing. Usually, I try to better understand the context of the query to provide the most relevant answer. For example, is the person asking me looking for a general approach tip? If so, I may tell them to always be […]
- Could Bing Improve Its Search Results With Google +1?
Here’s a big dose of irony. Could Google +1 buttons or +1 data — which Google uses to improve its search results — come to rival Bing? Potentially. Bing +1, Anyone? The issue came up yesterday during Q&A following the keynote talk by Bing’s director Stefan Weitz at our SMX Sydney conference. An audience member […]
- Calling All Information Architects! Get With The SEO Program
Many SEO professionals try to understand information architecture (IA). Do information architects try to understand SEO? Here are some of my beefs with information architects.
- YouTube Users Not Thrilled With New Copyright School
Google (and YouTube before it was bought) has taken a variety of steps over the years to educate its users on copyright issues and discipline them when the message doesn’t get through. The latest of those is being called Copyright School; it’s a combination video and quiz that YouTube will force offenders to watch and […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google: we want iPhone to grow, AdNews
- Finding Link Opportunities With Advanced Search Queries, Distilled blog
- Link Building Tips That You May Not Have Used Yet, Search Engine People
Paid Search & Contextual
- Give Google AdSense Feedback On The Color Palettes, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo, Bing Search Alliance Makes No Progress in March, ClickZ
- Analyzing New US Income Tax Data, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Video: Google Panda Global Rollout, Google Communication & More SEO, Search Engine Roundtable
SEO & SEM
- Budget Option Improvements Coming Soon to Microsoft Advertising adCenter, adCenter Blog
- Get Rid Of Negative Results About Your Company On Google, Site Visibility
- How to Make SEO Happen – Whiteboard Friday, SEOmoz
- Will Older Article Post Dates Hurt Your Rankings in Google?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Does a Small Business Need to Tweet?, Forbes
- Facebook wants to make daily deals more social, Internet Retailer
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Music Talks Stalled, AllThingsD
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- 99 Comparison Points Between Google and Bing Webmaster Tools – Annie Cushing provides a comprehensive comparison of Google and Bing Webmaster Tools — 99 comparison points to be exact.
- 7 Steps to an Even Better Business Blog – Says Hubspot's Mike Volpe: "The next level of business blogging is really about doing what may seem simple but exercises a major impact on your business blogging success."
- Drugs, Milk, and Money: 3 Ways to Do Social Media in Regulated Industries – In a highly regulated industry? Don't let it paralyze your social media efforts. Here are 3 tips on making the most out of what you CAN do.
- My Top 5 Excel Tips for PPC Managers – Pay Per Click marketers will find these 5 excel tips very useful for managing PPC accounts.