Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- The Medium Is The Message In Link Building
In 1964, Marshall McLuhan proposed the idea “that media itself, not the content it carries, should be the focus of study.” He said that a medium affects the society in which it plays a role not only by the content delivered over the medium, but also by the characteristics of the medium itself. He gave […]
- Going Glocal: Managing A Brand’s Global Social Profiles On Facebook
Having spent 2009 being beaten in the hype stakes by Twitter, Facebook has started off 2010 with the last laugh. While Twitter’s growth is apparently stalling, Facebook goes from strength to strength and is now, arguably, the world’s largest digital media ‘owner’ other than Google. Its audience is now a very international one, with 70% […]
- Google Makes AdSense Link Units “Much Smarter”
The Google AdSense Blog announced they have made the “biggest performance overhaul” to the AdSense link units in history.
This update was a “full rewrite of the link unit matching system,” which is pretty significant. Google tells us we can expect the link units to return better ads. The ad system uses […]
- Google Launches iPad Version Of Mobile App
Google has updated their Google Mobile App for iPhone to now support the iPad and take advantage of the iPad user interface. Truth be told, there are not that many changes from the iPhone version to the iPad version except for a overlay search suggestion tab, larger screen real estate and Google showing the […]
- Twitter Promoted Tweets: Scandal Or Big Yawn?
Twitter’s rumored Promoted Tweets are now official, launching only a day after the very similar TweetUp launched (will that be DOA?). Promoted Tweets has two phases, which might be described as an AdWords phase and an AdSense phase. The AdWords part is what is launching first.
Marketers buy keywords (for now on a CPM basis) and […]
- Twitter To Launch Its Advertising Platform Tuesday
Hot on the heels of the TweetUp announcement comes news that Twitter plans to announce its own advertising platform on Tuesday. The New York Times says the program will be called “Promoted Tweets.”
The advertising program, which Twitter calls Promoted Tweets, will show up when Twitter users search for keywords that the advertisers have bought to […]
- Bing Makes Gains In Search Advertising Share: Report
Echoing recent stats that show Bing slowly growing its search engine market share, a new report says Bing is also increasing its share of search ad spending and clicks. The news comes from the latest quarterly report written by Efficient Frontier, a search marketing agency that manages more than $900 million in digital spending annually.
- SPONSOR MESSAGE: How Can Search Empower Your Integrated Marketing Efforts? Find out with Covario.
Large advertisers face the numerous challenge in tracking the effectiveness and efficiency of their integrated marketing campaigns. Learn how building highly effective paid (PPC) and organic (SEO) search programs can provide insight into the customer’s voice for your product or service, and ultimately provide content and ad copy for your other marketing tactics. Understand […]
Search News From Around The Web:
- Eric Schmidt on Google’s “mobile first” attitude, weaknesses, VentureBeat
- Former iCrossing CEO Forms Online Ad Services Company Tallwave, paidContent.org
- New role – Google Profiles, Rick Klau
- Google Says, We Don’t Change Search Results For "Political Reasons", Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Sued for Publishing Home Address–Harris v. Google, Eric Goldman
- Italian Judge Says Profit Was Behind Conviction for Google, New York Times
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Battle over online local ads heats up, San Francisco Chronicle
- Google Street View blamed for burglary, CNET News
- Are Paid Links Really That Risky?, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- TOPSEO’s – An "Independent Authority?", theseoblog.org
SEO & SEM
- 25 Major News Sites Ranked by Page Speed, Adam Sherk
- 8 Secrets of Success Within SEO, SEOmoz
- Can I use rel=canonical when publishing articles on different sites?, YouTube
- Is the 180 day cookie of Personalized search making your SEO more urgent, Site Visibility
- Removing Sites In Bing Webmaster Tools Does Not Impact Rankings, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Buzz buttons, Official Gmail Blog
- Realtime Media Sharing Service TweetPhoto Raises $2.6 Million Series A, TechCrunch
- TweetUp v. Promoted Tweets, TweetUp Blog
Video, Music & Image Search
- Restricting by licenses now available in the Image Search API, Google AJAX Search API Blog
- comScore Releases February 2010 U.S. Online Video Rankings, comScore
- Report Offensive Images On Google Does Not Work, Search Engine Roundtable
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Social Media Higher Learning; Part 1
- 4 Common Myths About Twitter
- 301 Redirect Test: How Much Link Juice are YOU Losing?
- Brand bidding & Ad-Hijacking insights – Part 2