Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Bing Ads Shares Halloween Data For Advertisers: Search, CTR CPC Trends
See when to expect click-through rates and costs to peak by product category and more.
- PhantomALERT: Waze Stole Our Database And Sold It To Google For $1 Billion
Traffic violation-avoidance app maker PhantomALERT has sued Waze/Google for copyright violations and related claims. The company contends that Waze stole its points of interest (POI) database after partnership negotiations broke down between the two companies. Google is named in the suit only as the legal owner of and successor to Waze. No specific Google wrongdoing […]
- Video Ads: Money For Nothin’ & Clicks For Cheap
If you’re a paid search marketer looking for new avenues to explore, columnist Pauline Jakober urges you to take a look at video ads.
- What Happened To The Google Panda 4.2 Update? Did It Make A U-Turn?
Google has no comment on why many webmasters have seen their Panda 4.2 gains reversed on August 14.
- Search In Pics: GooglePlex New Logo, Chrome 7th Birthday & Pajama Day At Google
In this week’s Search In Pictures, here are the latest images culled from the Web, showing what people eat at the search engine companies, how they play, who they meet, where they speak, what toys they have and more.
- Local SEO Is Not An Island (Or At Least It Shouldn’t Be!)
Local businesses’ visibility on the SERPs took a hit when Google adopted the “Snack Pack,” which shows only three results. Contributor Marcus Miller shares advice on how to handle the increased competition that’s likely to result.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- 4 Components Of The Best Social Media Campaigns
- Yelp Penalizes 100+ Movers Alliance Business Listings After Group Charged With Misleading Customers
- Capitalizing On The Digital Trail To The Offline Purchase
- 59 Percent Of Retailers Have Already Started Their Holiday Promotions [Survey]
- A Powerful New Tool In The Local Business Toolbox: Content Marketing Is Going Native
- Comscore: Smartphone Penetration Above 77 Percent In US
Search News From Around The Web:
- The 20 schools with the most alumni at Google, Business Insider
Local & Maps
- Businesses’ Peak Hours Now Showing in Google’s Desktop Search Results, LocalVisibilitySystem.com
- Google Maps To Discontinue Manual Verification Process, Search Engine Roundtable
- What Kind of Content Gets Links?, Renegade Search