Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Look Out Siri, Google Now & Cortana, Facebook M Wants To Be Your Digital Assistant
The social network is experimenting with a service within Messenger that it believes will make better recommendations than its rivals. M will even complete tasks for people.
- Marin Software & SocialPro Launch 2nd Annual Biggest Social Geek Contest
Grand prize winner will receive an all-expense-paid trip to SocialPro 2015 and their choice of an Apple iPad Mini, an Xbox One or a Sony PlayStation 4.
- AdWords Script: Find Your Best And Worst Search Queries Using N-Grams
Former Googler Daniel Gilbert of Brainlabs shares a script to help you identify wasted AdWords spend using n-grams.
- Is Responsive Design A Ranking Factor?
Google has stated multiple times that responsive design is their preferred mobile configuration, leading many to speculate that responsive sites might get a rankings boost. Columnist Clay Cazier explores this idea to see if it has any merit.
- Study: Google’s New Local Pack Shows In The Number One Spot 93% Of The Time
Now, with the new 3-pack local results box, you are way more likely to see them in the number one position.
- Last Chance: SMX East Rates Increase Saturday — Register Now!
Early Bird rates for SMX East expire this Saturday, August 29. Register now! Join us September 29–October 1 in New York City for: Innovative sessions covering the latest paid search and SEO developments. Check out the agenda. More than 100 expert speakers presenting real-world proven tactics for SEO, paid search, local/mobile search and social media marketing. Career-defining opportunities with […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Organic Trade Group Rallies Members & Supporters For “Myth-Busting” Social Media #OrganicFestival
- Facebook Is Testing M, A Siri-Like Personal Assistant Within Messenger
- 7 Tips To Get The Most Out Of Survey Emails
- A CMO’s View: Top Marketers From The World’s Biggest Brands Share Insights On Mobile, Video & More
- Succeeding In Mobile Advertising: The Journey Begins
- Last Chance: SMX East Rates Increase Saturday – Register Now!
- The 25% Rule For Reporting And Why It Matters
- Here’s Why Those Snapchat Snapcode “Ghosts” Are Invading Twitter Profiles
- Moasis: Location Is The Key To Mobile Ad Relevance And Personalization
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google pays $3M for new public outdoor recreational center in Seattle area, GeekWire
- I was invited by Google to its ‘secret’ interview process, Business Insider
Local & Maps
- Google Maps goes after Yelp, Urban Spoon with added features, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Google Views Now Offline, Search Engine Roundtable
- Historical imagery density in Google Earth: Part 2, Google Earth Blog
- Organic Search Results No Longer Displayed Above Google Local Pack Results, thesempost.com
- Does Google crawl “nofollow” links? An SEO experiment, Search Laboratory
- Google Will Only Follow Links On 200 Status Pages, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Search App For Android: No App Found To Open URL, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Challenge (8/26/15): Know how to create a timeline?, SearchReSearch
- Easy To Avoid SEO Copywriting Errors That Ruin Content, Search Engine People
- Google Reaching Out to Larger Third Party Sites to Get Embedded CSS & JS Unblocked, thesempost.com
- Google’s One Hour Hangout Just On Robots.txt, Search Engine Roundtable
- Set Your Mobile SEO Strategy Using Google Analytics, koozai.com
- Shopify SEO Review, What all SEO Professionals Need to Know, ignitevisibility.com
- The SEO Professional’s Guide to Waterfall Diagrams, Moz
- Use YouTube Features to Boost Video SEO, SEMrush Blog
- Yoast SEO: announcing breaking API Changes, Yoast
SEM / Paid Search