Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the Web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Sundar Pichai Appointed Google CEO As Google Becomes Division Of Alphabet Inc.
In a totally unexpected development this afternoon, Google announced that it had formed a new holding company, Alphabet, Inc., and that Google would be a wholly owned subsidiary of that entity. In addition, Google co-founders Page and Brin will become CEO and President of the new company, respectively, turning over daily control of Google to Sundar Pichai, who […]
- Graphiq Search: FindTheBest Becomes Knowledge Graph Engine
The world’s most extensive “knowledge graph” may not be at Google. Vertical search site FindTheBest (FTB) has rebranded and relaunched as Graphiq, a data visualization or knowledge graph search engine. Using a huge volume of data sources, automation and human editorial oversight, the company says that it has created “the world’s deepest and most interconnected Knowledge Graph, featuring 1,000 collections, 1 […]
- The Link Strategist: The Missing Role For Enterprise-Level Link Building
Enterprise organizations that want to get serious about link building may be well served by a dedicated team for link acquisition. Columnist Garrett French outlines the five roles that comprise this team and focuses today on the link strategist.
- The Cross-Border Series Part 4: Advertising In APAC
In the fourth and final installment of his series on search marketing across the globe, Microsoft’s Gabriel Kwakyi discusses tips for doing business in the Asia Pacific region.
- Irony Alert: Could Alphabet’s Hidden Link To Hooli Get It Banned In Google?
If you know where to look or click, there’s a hidden link from Alphabet to Hooli, the fictional tech company in HBO’s Silicon Valley comedy. But hidden links are a no-no with Google’s search guidelines.
- Is Bing Trolling Google & Alphabet With ABC.WTF Redirect?
Google’s name change/reorganization prompts a witty response from Redmond.
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Survey: 71 Percent Browse Retail Apps Before Buying In-Stores
- Twitter Launches Full Archive Search API To Give Enterprises Instant Access To Every Tweet
- American Girl To Crowdsource Film Introducing New Doll
- Getting A Grip On The Mobile Engagement Gap
- Facebook Adds High-Performing Ad Units To Audience Network
- Engagement: How To Unlock The Key To Content Performance Success
- The 5 Levels Of Mobile-Friendly Email Design: Time To Graduate
- The Biggest Myth In Online Retail
- Twitter Takes On Google’s Alphabet: Today’s Best Tweets So Far
- Meet Alphabet, The New Conglomerate Absorbing Google That’s Run By Larry Page & Sergey Brin
Search News From Around The Web:
- Google’s Restructuring Unlikely to Affect Its European Headaches, Wall Street Journal
- Last Day To Pitch To Speak For SMX Israel, Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo Demonstrates Commitment to User Security at 2015 Blackhat Conference, yahoopolicy.tumblr.com
Local & Maps
- A new timesaver: Best New Links, Majestic Blog
- What Kinds of Sites Do I Want Links From?, Renegade Search
- 15 Experts Share Their Top SEO Pet Peeves, Vertical Measures
- Google: Can You Use Pipes In Your URLs? If It Works For Browsers., Search Engine Roundtable
- Master Technical SEO Audits in 4 Stress-Free Steps, aimClear Blog
- Pro Keyword Research For Content: How To Rank Without Links And Get High CTR In Google, Ahrefs Blog
- SEO Reporting the Right Way, 19 Reports your Boss Wants to See, ignitevisibility.com
- Why It’s Vital To Begin SEO Before Designing Your Website –, koozai.com
SEM / Paid Search
- Tracking Multiple Conversion Events in AdWords, Metric Theory
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions About Pay-Per-Click Advertising, Vertical Response
- Are You Paying Attention to All PPC Details?, Search Engine Journal
- Best Practices: A new guide to great reporting in AdWords, Inside AdWords
- Google Analytics: How to Track PayPal Transactions, Practical Ecommerce
- Google Shakes Up Local with Local Stack & Services Ads (Beta), Bruce Clay, Inc.
- Guide To Google AdWords Quality Score (& How You Can Optimize It), Search Engine People
- How To Illustrate Popular B2B PPC Performance Metrics, KoMarketing Associates
- Outmaneuver Your Competition With Bing Ads Marketplace Trends, PPC Hero
- Quick Tip: Flexible Reach in Adwords Editor 11, Clix Marketing
- Smarter Insights: 5 Google Analytics Custom Reports FTW!, Occam’s Razor
- Sunset of the v201405 DFP API, Google Ads Developer Blog
- What We’ve Learned From 1 Year’s Worth Of Hourly Data, PPC Hero